Tuesday, September 20, 2011

What is your Idol?

About two weeks ago I hit this feeling that something was missing. I didn't feel plugged into anything, in fact I felt alone. I spend most days at home working on learning about how to support my clients and how to better myself, yet I'm sitting at home alone! So I saw a friend post on Facebook about the upcoming Ladies Bible Study. It is both in the mornings and evening. I struggled to figure out if I could make that work. I might have a sub job on a Tuesday (kind of unlikely but it could happen) so that would mean I miss that week...and the evenings meant time away from TJ--but maybe that's what I need?! So since my friend was in charge of the evenings, I decided that's what I needed. So I signed up two days before it began! Monday I get an email from her asking if I would be interested in leading the discussion at my table. Woah! I had to stop for a minute...that meant I would be the one they were looking to to guide through the discussion, and I'm not really an outgoing person around people I just met. I was nervous and felt slightly uncomfortable, but I also felt God has placed this on my heart to go and led her to ask me to lead the discussion. So I said yes! Last Tuesday we met for the first time and did some ice breaker things which was really fun! I only have 4 other ladies at my table (the smallest of the bunch) but that's ok! This is the first ladies bible study we are all doing, so its awesome!


So now getting into the study. It's from The Living Room Series and called No Other Gods by Kelly Minter. I really didn't look into what we were doing, I just knew I needed to go. So here I am this first week digging into the study and it hits home. The first day or so is about what really is an idol...which it's not just a statue you worship! It's anything that you put before God...allowing Him to be the God in your life. It could be your cell phone, facebook, blogging, twitter, fantasy football...anything. So what was my realization? It's ME!!! I'm my idol! I want what I want and don't allow God to speak and live through me....so the next 7 weeks are going to be interesting. I had a great conversation last night with my mom and hope that every week maybe we can talk a little more about it. She's a very very wise and Godly woman!

1 comment:

  1. I love reading this...and so glad that you are along the journey with the ladies at your table - but most importantly with the Lord himself! He's so pleased that you are willing and wanting to figure this "idol thing" out....I'm so pleased that I get to see you every Tuesday! :)

    ReplyDelete